Current Students Staff
  1. Top
  2. Admissions
  3. Admissions Information
  4. Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. 1. Admission Dates
  2. 2. Application Eligibility
  3. 3. Application Materials
  4. 4. Application Procedure
  5. 5. Screening
  6. 6. Language Proficiency
  7. 7. Program Outlines
  8. 8. Others

1. Admission Dates

Q1-1. When can I obtain the admission schedule and the application guidelines?

A1-1. The admission schedule is published on the Graduate School of Engineering Science website. Application guidelines are published from mid-April for April intake application period each year. The above schedule will be subject to change.

Q1-2. Does the Graduate School of Engineering Science have a secondary application period or an October intake application period?

A1-2. If the number of students accepted to the graduate school does not reach its upper limit after the admission for April intake is finished, the graduate school has a secondary application period or an October intake application period. The guidelines and schedule for the secondary or the October intake application period, if held, will be announced on the graduate school's website. Please check the graduate school's website regularly.
Application guidelines are published from late-October for the secondary application period and mid-April for the October intake application period each year.

2. Application Eligibility

Q2-1. I would like to send an email with a copy of my resume/CV. Could you tell me if I am eligible to apply?

A2-1. The Graduate School of Engineering Science does not accept application documents via email and will not reply with an assessment of eligibility based on resumes/ CV. All application materials must be submitted by postal mail during the proper eligibility assessment period.
As mentioned on the application guidelines, the graduate school will only assess the eligibility of applicants who meet some designated profiles. Those who fall under such categories must submit the necessary documents during the eligibility assessment period. All other eligibility profiles are not required to have their eligibility individually assessed by the graduate school.

Q2-2. I have an undergraduate degree but have completed less than 16 years of formal education. Can I still apply for Master’s program in the Graduate School of Engineering Science?

A2-2. Depending on the country where you completed your formal education, you may be eligible to apply. Please submit the required document for the application eligibility assessment to the graduate school by the designated date. As a result of application eligibility assessment, your application sometimes will not be approved.

Q2-3. I am a first year student in master's program. Can I transfer to the second year of the Graduate School of Engineering Science?

A2-3. No. Applicants can enter the Graduate School of Engineering Science only as a first year student.

Q2-4. Does my work experience help me applying for the graduate program?

A2-4. Yes. If you have work experience more than one year for master’s course or two years for doctoral course and pass the application eligibility assessment, you can apply for the special selection for adults. Applicants for the special selection are not required to take written examinations. They just need to come to the university to have an interview.

Q2-5. Do I first have to become a research student prior to admission to the Graduate School of Engineering Science?

A2-5. No. If accepted for enrollment in the Graduate School of Engineering Science, you are admitted directly to the graduate school as a full time student. The research student system still exists, but does not relate to the graduate programs’ admissions. Applications for research students and for graduate students are entirely exclusive.

3. Application Materials

Q3-1. What documents are required to apply for admission to the graduate program?

A3-1. The application requirements are listed on the following link to the graduate school's website:

Q3-2. Do I need to use the designated forms for application? Can the application guidelines be sent outside of Japan?

A3-2. Applicants are required to use the designated forms. Application guidelines and the designated forms can be downloaded on the graduate school’s website.

Q3-3. Some of my application documents cannot be re-issued and I may require them again for other purposes in the future. In such a case can I submit a photocopy as an alternative when I apply to the graduate program?

A3-3. Original copies of application documents are required for application purposes. As a rule, application documents will not be returned. However, upon request in special circumstances, materials that cannot be easily be reissued will be returned after the Graduate School of Engineering Science Section confirms their authenticity.
Applicants must bring the original document to the graduate school office by the end of application period. It will be returned to applicants when its photocopy is taken at the office. If it is hard for applicants to come to the office, please send the original document with a note of request for return, by postal mail during the application period. It will be returned to applicants after the examination finishes.

Q3-4. To apply for master’s course, a certificate of application eligibility (Form 14 and 15-1) must be sealed. Can I seal the envelope on my own?

A3-4. No. To be considered official, applicants need to request that the university place the certificate in a sealed envelope and stamp the outside flap with the school seal.

Q3-5. For the application eligibility assessment of the special selection for adults, do I need to submit both an examination permit and a recommendation letter?

A3-5. Yes. Applicants are required to submit both of them. It will be acceptable if they are combined to one document.

4. Application Procedure

Q4-1. Do I need to contact my prospective supervisor before applying for the Graduate School of Engineering Science?

A4-1. Yes. As directed on the application guidelines, applicants are required to contact their prospective supervisors or faculty members in charge prior to the application. In addition, international students must ask them to send the provisional acceptance letter.
The following links provide the list of faculty members in the graduate school. You are required to choose your prospective supervisors suitable for your research field, and contact them on your own. If you cannot find their email addresses, please email the Graduate School of Engineering Science Section at the following address:
Please enable JavaScirpt

Q4-2. I am currently residing outside of Japan, can I ask my friend in Japan to submit the application materials to the Graduate School of Engineering Science on my behalf?

A4-2. Yes. Application materials may be submitted by a designated contact person such as a family member, friend or co-worker, etc. The letter of acceptance, and admission procedure guidelines will be sent to the designated contact person in Japan, for applicants who are residing outside of Japan. These items cannot be sent directly outside of Japan. Applicants are required to register a Japanese address when applying.

Q4-3. I will stay abroad during the application period. Can I submit the application materials after the application period ends?

A4-3. No. Application materials cannot be received after the application period ends for any reason.

Q4-4. I cannot decide which specialization I should choose. Can I apply for two specializations?

A4-4. Applicants can choose only one specialization per application. All the written examinations or interviews for each specialization will be held at the same time, so that applicants can take only one examination even if they apply for two or more specializations.

5. Screening

Q5-1. I live outside of Japan. Am I required to travel to Japan to take an entrance exam?

A5-1. Yes. Applicants are required to complete an on-campus examination. Written examinations, oral examinations and interviews are held on campus.

Q5-2. Would you consider GPA of the undergraduate program?

A5-2. All the information printed on transcripts may be considered for admission process.

Q5-3. Are past examination questions available?

A5-3. Generally, we disclose the past 5 years’ written exam questions only at the Central Library of the university. External users need to make reservations in advance. For more information, please see the link.

Q5-4. Where can I get a sample of the written examination for doctoral programs?

A5-4. The past Admissions Examination questions for doctoral programs are all confidential. Please ask for the advice for the admission from your prospective supervisors.

6. Language Proficiency

Q6-1. How many courses in the graduate programs are instructed in English? Do I need to have proficiency in Japanese language to apply for the Graduate School of Engineering Science?

A6-1. English is the language of instruction for most courses in the graduate school. However, most documents handed out after enrollment will be written in Japanese. So students, who will not have enough Japanese language proficiency, may need to be supported by someone who are good at Japanese. Yokohama National University has a tutor system. Tutors help you settle in to your campus life including some documentation. You will have your own tutor after enrollment.

Q6-2. My learning medium was English. Do I still need to submit TOEIC or TOFEL scores?

A6-2. Yes. All the applicants, including native English speakers or those who completed their bachelor’s or master’s degree in English as the medium of instruction, are required to submit English Test Scores’ original copy (i.e., TOEIC or TOEFL) for the graduate school's admissions. The score report must be submitted on the day of the examination. Please note that a photocopy of the report or a printout of information on the website cannot be accepted.

Q6-3. I would like to know whether my TOEFL score report can be sent from ETS. If yes, Please tell me the procedure.

A6-3. The Graduate School of Engineering Science does not accept TOEFL score reports directly sent from ETS. Applicant need to bring their "Test Taker Score Report" on the written examination day.

Q6-4. I took TOEIC in China and received an Official Score Report. Is this valid certificate for the application?

A6-4. If applicants took TOEIC in China, please submit the Official Score Report. It is considered as an Official Score certificate.

7. Program Outlines

Q7-1. Where can I access information on the Graduate School of Engineering Science 's programs and areas of research specialization?.

A7-1. An overview of programs and research fields in the Graduate School of Engineering Science can be seen on the graduate school’s application guidelines. For further details on specific area of research, please contact the prospective supervisors or faculty members in charge.

Q7-2. Does the Graduate School of Engineering Science have program information sessions for prospective applicants?

A7-2. The following link provides the details of the Briefing Session for April 2023 Admission.

The Graduate School of Engineering Science does not host any other information sessions for prospective applicants. However, some unit (specialization) may have ones. If the information is not shown on the graduate school's website, please ask faculty member in charge. The member’s list is posted on the below website.

8. Others

Q8-1. I would like to know how to apply for the MEXT scholarship offered for international students.

A8-1. The following link provides the details of the process for MEXT Scholarship applications at Yokohama National University.
If you have any questions, please contact the International Students Section:
Please enable JavaScirpt

Q8-2. I passed MEXT (Japanese Government) scholarship’s screening and have accepted as a research student at YNU. Do I still have to take the examination to apply for the Graduate School of Engineering Science to enter as a regular student?

A8-2. Yes. If applicants are accepted to Yokohama National University as research students, they must pass the entrance examination, to gain entry into a graduate program as regular students.

Q8-3. I need a letter of acceptance from the Graduate School of Engineering Science to apply for a scholarship in my country. How can I get the letter?

A8-3. The official letter of acceptance will be sent to applicants who have passed the entrance examination for the graduate school. Please apply for the admission in designated period.

Q8-4. What documents do I need to submit for enrollment in the Graduate School of Engineering Science? Can I ask the graduate school’s office to apply for the Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) which is required for my college student visa?

A8-4. Successful applicants need to submit the Information Sheet for Student Registration, Pledge Card, Photo-mount Sheet for Student ID, Receipt for the Payment of Admission Fee, and other related documents. Further details will be informed after the letter of acceptance is sent. Regarding the CoE which is required for college student visa, we does not apply for the CoE for successful applicants on their behalf, as indicated on following page:

Q8-5. Does the Graduate School of Engineering Science offer any scholarships for applicants before or after enrollment?

A8-5. There are no scholarships designated specifically for students in the Graduate School of Engineering Science. After enrollment, privately funded students in both the Master's and Doctoral programs may apply for scholarships through the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) or other institutions based on university's recommendation. The details of the process to apply for Financial Support and scholarships are shown on the below website.

Q8-6. Can I study architecture or civil engineering in the Graduate School of Engineering Science?

A8-6. No. If you would like to research such fields, please apply for the Graduate School of Urban Innovation. Master's Degree Program in Infrastructure Management is also one of the programs in the Graduate School of Urban Innovation.